Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns


Right now I am reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Housseini who also wrote The Kite Runner. This book is written from the women's perspective of Afganistan. It is fascinating, thrilling, sexy, and will make you want to hunt down your local Indian joint a few times a week. The food descriptions are so vivid and we don't have any Afgani restaurants around so Indian is the next best thing. It starts before the Russian coup and follows the story of the fall of the coup, and well I am only half way though so I don't know much more about the history that it details but thus far the book has been great about detailing how the war/coup effects women, three women specifically.
-Poppedcollarbonner

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

I seriously just bought this book and CAN NOT WAIT to read it!

Anonymous said...

Have you read The Kite Runner? How does it compare? I loved The Kite Runner and heard mixed things from people who read both...

EileenNewell said...

I've read the Kite Runner and anxiously await this read. What are some of the things you've heard?

Anonymous said...

A coworker said it was pretty much the same story as Kite Runner, just between women. Let me know what you think - I might want to borrow it when you're done:)

EileenNewell said...

you got it! i guess i dont see why it still wouldnt be good. life as a woman there is so far different from a man's that I am sure this story will transcend their differences as well as uncover so much. man, just started a new book yesterday...need to finish that so i can get cracking on this one!
I'm going on my break! girl...

Anonymous said...

There's a fundraiser to build a school for women and girls in Afghanistan, and Khaled Hosseini will be speaking (or just there, not sure if he's speaking or not).

I would really like to go - it'd be great if I could find others to go with. Here's a link for more info: http://www.duxburyrotary.com/