I eagerly picked up Eat, Pray, Love after it was recommended to me and I also saw it every where I went, girls all over the city were reading it! I needed to get my hands on it. I bought it at the airport and immediately dove in. Before I could even get to cruising altitude she was knee deep in self pity. Man, that girl needed to get out. We've all read the books, overcoming a personal struggle and read how a woman gets her life back (essentially). She had me at Italy. 4 months of eating amazing food and describing every morsel and architectural wonder - but staying celebit? That should have been my first clue. I might as well have grabbed my own yoga mat to take a nap through her stint in India. I am ALL about finding faith, but don't jam it down my throat already. Its incredibly impressive the time she spent there and the things that she hated and dreaded about her stay there she had the strength to see them through, it was about the experience and making the most of it after all.
For the first time since college I actually skipped pages. Seriously, I looked over my shoulder on the train to see if anyone was watching me. SKIP...that felt good...skimming...skimming, GOD GOD GOD, skim...skip. Luckily the chapters were short. It's not that I didn't "like" it, it was just that the spiritual part was really...well, spiritual. But all about HER relationship with God. Fine, but I'd personally rather read about 'relationships' not a specific persons' relationship with God. Needless to say I was glad when she jammed outta the ashram and popped over for Indonesia for a break.
This chapter too was slow at first, minor skipping and to save you all from what happened she finally hooked me again. I needed that. I have a hard time recommending this book without a disclaimer; "it was good, but..." The writing was well done but what was even more impressive is that her friends that stood by and supported her through the sanskrit and all.
1 comment:
I'm in the "Italy" part right now, wondering why the hell she's not jumping down Giovanni (her hot conversational Italian language partner)'s cute little Armani pants! There's not enough sanskrit in India!! Hoping it gets better....
Post a Comment