Wednesday, September 5, 2007

NYT Says: Away - Amy Bloom

While browsing the Barnes & Noble site for book pics to add to posts, I came across the review for the #1 book on the NYT Best Sellers list - looks like it's worth a read; has anyone picked it up yet?

Janet Maslin - The New York Times
Away is a modest name for a book as gloriously transporting as Amy Bloom's new novel. Alive with incident and unforgettable characters, it sparkles and illuminates as brilliantly as it entertains. The accomplishment is even more remarkable given the seeming drabness of the story Ms. Bloom tells. She offers a ridiculously beautiful account of a 1926 transcontinental schlep by an immigrant Jewish seamstress from New York toward Siberia in search of her young daughter…To the extent that a work of fiction can be all things to all people, this one is remarkably versatile. Away is a literary triumph, a book-club must and a popular novel destined for wide readership. It is accessible to the point of pure enthrallment without compromising its eloquence or thematic strength. Yet it is also a classic page-turner, one that delivers a relentlessly good read.

1 comment:

EileenNewell said...

I couldn't help it, I picked it up at lunch. I am hoping to start tonight!

I also picked up A Thousand Splendid Suns as it was 40% off for Borders Members!